EME Blog 5

 Hello!

This week I'll be discussing how Twitter (X) has become a valuable resource in my PLN. I created a new X account specifically as a personal education tool in order to follow educational accounts and not be distracted with my personal content. So far, I have found it very valuable to follow verified accounts who are reporting on educational technology. I haven't found many fellow students to interact with yet, but I'm sure the further we all develop our PNMs the more interactive the space will become. 

The digital divide refers to the gap between students who have access to technology versus students who do not, and how that impacts their performance inside and outside of the classroom. Students who have unlimited access to technology are able to access learning materials, assignments, and educational resources that give them a much higher advantage than students who do not have unlimited access, or any access whatsoever, to the same resources. Beyond schooling, students who have access to technology in their secondary education years will be much more prepared to use it in college and the work field, where students who don't have a disadvantage when applying for jobs and trying to obtain higher levels of education. As an educator, I would try as much as possible to give students the option to do their homework on paper and give them paper based resources. 

For academic software in the classroom, I would want to implement the most collaborative software for students to use. In my opinion, for high school students, the best technology to implement would be Google resources such as Classroom, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Gmail. This gives students a resource where all of their technology is located in the same place and is highly collaborative through the emails either they create or the school creates for them. I could also use Google Calendar to keep students and parents on track for assignments and events happening throughout the school year.   

Comments

  1. Hey Ava, I really enjoyed reading more about how Twitter has been helpful for your Personal Learning Network. Sometimes learning how to separate your work life from your personal life can be challenging, and I applaud you for making two accounts so that you can do this. It can be easy to get distracted by funny memes or post, and I am glad you were able to navigate around this and that it has been beneficial to you.
    Finally, I am a big fan of Google's resources, and find that their software is very helpful within education. Teaching students how to find their resources within one outlet allows for students to feel more comfortable, and also facilitates the working space.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EME Week 3: ISTE Standards and "Digital Natives"

EME Blog 7